Sunday, January 27, 2008

"Mother Tongue"

In Amy Tan's essay "Mother Tongue," she talks about her mother's so called "broken" English, how her mother's use of language is perceived by others and how growing up with that type of language has impacted her life. Amy Tan is the author of this essay. She is a first generation Asian-American, who was born into a Chinese emmigrant family. She wrote this essay for her mother, who she says she imagines as her audience while she writes. Also, Tan wrote this for people who have grown up with "broken" English or speak different Englishes, especially people with emmigrant parents. The purpose of this essay is to inform the readers about the different struggles that people face due to their lack of "perfect" English. She also wrote this essay to tell these her audience that it is alrite to speak different Englishes.
I have also had personal experiences with speaking various Englishes and I have many older relatives who don't speak English that well. I have seen people, especially non-native people, treat my relatives rudely and with disrespect just because they don't have good communications skills. These relatives grew up speaking just their traditional language and never had a formal education. Most of them never went to school or dropped out at a young age. They had to learn English because their children were being educated and they still needed to communicate with them. After reading this essay, I have noticed that I speak different Englishes, and I think everyone does. When I am around a group a people I speak one kind of English, then when I'm around another group I speak a different kind of English. I think we all speak multiple Englishes and don't even notice it. It is just normal to us because maybe, just like Amy Tan, that was how we grow up and how we always communicate with people.

No comments: