Sunday, February 3, 2008

"Southland"

I found it quite difficult to understand the reading. I had to read it several times and look up certain words to fully grasp the meading of the piece. But after reading "The Southland" by Henry Miller, I wanted to travel to the southern states and experience first hand what Miller was describing. I have traveled to the several of the southern states before, but I was young and really didn't know about the history and importance of some of the places we visited. Miller chooses great words that allows the reader to create various images about the vast land. The use of imagery and diction makes the reader think that Miller is a credible author about this subject. He writes as if he has lived in the south his entire life and knows about its history, places and people. Miller appeals to his readers' emothions by talking about the war between the South and the North. Everyone has different opinions and feelings toward the subject of war. Once again, Miller uses imagery and diction to appeal to audience's emotions by using words and phrases like, "...when I stand beside the graves of the dead in our own South the horror of war assials me with desolating poignancy."Miller aslo uses logos when he talks about the different battlefields and other historical places.

1 comment:

Susanne said...

With regards to Southland I had also a hard time reading it. Not only did I have to look up several words but I also had to do some research on the American Civil War to fully understand his premises. I think it is very cool that you had the chance to visit some of the southern states being able to get some first-hand historical information on this subject. I agree with you that the author has an extraordinary talent to create various images in his writing which makes the story lively and interesting. As he is talking as an expert witness providing us with all his valuable historical knowledge illustrates his use of logos. However, I believe he also implements a lot of pathos when he describes the people and the landscape of the South.